Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Long Way Gone Ch. 8 Vocab. Words

Chapter 8 Vocabulary Words

1.Suitable- adj. such as to suit; appropriate; fitting; becoming
Sentence- The dress looked suitable on her.
2.Familiarize- v. to make (oneself or another) well-acquainted or conversant with
Sentence- I had to familiarize myself on the place where I was getting stationed at.
3.Vicinity- n. the area or region near or about a place; surrounding district; neighborhood
Sentence- I live in a good vicinity where everyone is all nice.
4.Irresistibly- adj. not resistible; incapable of being resisted or withstood
Sentence- I was looking at chocolate and it was irresistibly good.
5.Hesitantly- adj. hesitating; undecided, doubtful, or disinclined
Sentence- I hesitantly said no when my friends asked me if I wanted to go to the club with them.
6.Medicinal- adj. of, pertaining to, or having the properties of a medicine; curative; remedial
Sentence- Ishmael tried looking for the medicinal leaves that his grandfather used.
7.Visualize- v. to recall or form mental images or pictures
Sentence- Ishmael tried not to visualize those brutal images.
8.Notorious- adj. widely and unfavorably known
Sentence- Ishmael met a man that was notorious in his village.
9.Lured- v. to attract, entice, or tempt; allure
Sentence- Ishmael almost got lured into a trap while was walking through the jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment