Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Long Way Gone Ch. 12 Vocabulary Words

A Long Way Gone
Ch. 12 Vocabulary Words.


  • agonizing- adj. accompanied by, filled with, or resulting in agony or distress
  • Sentence- The man cried out in agonizing pain when he got badly hurt.
  • complemented- adj. having a complement or complements
  • Sentence- I complemented my friend for being so pretty.
  • latrines- n. a toilet or something used as a toilet, as a trench in the earth in a camp, or bivouac area
  • Sentence- The refugees used latrines whenever they need to use the bathroom.
  • colleagues- n. an associate
  • Sentence- I love working with my colleagues, because they make working fun.
  • various- adj. of different kinds, as two or more things; differing one from another
  • Sentence- I have an option of various of electives to choose from in school.
  • gruesome- adj. causing great horror; horribly repugnant; grisly
  • Sentence- Sahal witnessed a gruesome sight.
  • dilemma- n. a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives
  • Sentence- Once in a while I would be in a dilemma.
  • megaphone- n. a cone-shaped device for magnifying or directing the voice, chiefly used in addressing a large audience out of doors or in calling to someone at a distance
  • Sentence- I used a megaphone to get people's attention.
  • tarpaulin- n. a protective covering of canvas or other material waterproofed with tar, paint, or wax
  • Sentence- I put a tarpaulin to protect my kids from the sun's rays.
  • dilapidated- adj. reduced to or fallen into partial ruin or decay, as from age, wear, or neglect
  • Sentence- My teddy bear dilapidated throughout the years of being in the cloest.
  • countenance- n. calm facial expression; composure
  • Sentence- Jasmine always had a countenance smile on her face.
  • cherishing- v. to care for tenderly; nurture
  • Sentence- I love cherishing my little cousin when he was a little baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment