Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chapter 6 Questions

Part 1.
1. One of the things that I disgust in this chapter are the SS officers. Why do they disgust me? Well because I hate the way they treat the Jews. They've turned the Jews into marching robots or in other words automatons. The last person I disgust during the chapter was a polish lad named Zalman. He disgust me, because he stopped to take number 2 and got killed. I know its sad, but it was gross at the same time.

2. I think the rabbi's son was so mean in leaving his father behind. He could've at least tried helping him, but instead chose to leave him. i dont think this incident doesnt change Elie's relationship towards his father, because in his mind, Elie hopes he doesnt turn out like the rabbi's son. Elie would never leave his beloved father behind. I dont think Elie would ever leave his father, because he would always go out looking for him whenever hes not by his side or when his father is about to give up. The rabbi's son probably abandoned him, because he was selfish and he didnt want to die. If i were in his place I wouldve at least tried helping. I would want my loved one and I to survive together. if one of us lost hope, I would just give up and die with that person. I wouldnt want to lose a loved one, and I would never fight for food over a loved one.

3. I think the quote, "Master of the Universe" means that God controls the fate and destiny of many people. " God knows what I would not havr given for a few moments of sleep. But deep down, I felt that to sleep would mean to die. And something within me revolted against death. All round me death was moving in, silently, without violence. It would seize upon some sleeping being, enter into him, and consume him bit by bit. Next to me there was someone trying to wake up his neighbor, his brother, perhaps, or a friend. In vain. Dis couraged in the attempt, the man lay down in his turn, next to the corpse, and slept too. Who was there to wake him up? Stretching out an arm, I touched him." Elie tried his best not to sleep, because if he slept for a second he might just end up sleeping the whole time. Sleeping means death to them.

Part 2.
  1. What would happen to someone who stopped runing? If someone stopped running, they would get shot and killed.
  2. 2.Who was Zalman? What happened to him? Zalman was a young Polish lad who had been working in the electrical warehouse at Buna. He was suddenly seized by a stomach cramp and stopped to ease the pain.
  3. 3.What keeps elie running? What motives him to keep going? His father was the only person that kept him motivated to keep going.
  4. 4.Describe the setting of this chapter. The setting of this was chapter was that it was really icy cold and it was snowing.
  5. 5.Describe what elie feels about faith now. Elie feels that his faith was beginning to seize him. He feels that it was his time since he was so weak and cannot go on.
  6. 6.How many miles have they marched already? The Jews marched 42 miles already since they left.
  7. 7.Describe what it was like to finally take a break. What did they do, how was it? Elie was relieved that they finally took a break after hours and hours of marching. The Jews slept for awhile, but they didn't sleep for long.
  8. 8.What did father and Elie do to keep from fallig asleep? Father and Elie went outside so they wouldn't fall asleep, since the shed and snow was so comfortable.
  9. 9.Give me an example where his father still looks after elie. One example where his father still looks after Elie was when he was trying to prevent Elie from sleeping.
  10. 10.Who is rabbi eliahou, who was he looking for, what happened? Rabbi Eliahou was the rabbi of a small Polish community. He was looking for his son that had left him.
  11. 11.What do you think about Eliahou’s son, what would you have done? I think his son was really mean to leave his father behind. Not only was he mean, but he was also selfish. I don't get why he would leave his father behind. If i was in his place I wouldn't leave him. I would just try try to help him so we could survive together.
  12. 12.How was Elie’s wounded foot? Did he continue to run? Elie;s wounded foot no longer hurt him. His foot has gotten numb from the snow. He continued to run, because he could no longer feel his foot's pain.
  13. 13.Who did Elie crush? How was he?? Elie crushed Juliek. Juliek was fine who was worn out especially when they was hardly any air, and his feet were swollen.
  14. 14.Where did they stay at for 3 days? What was it like? Easy, nice…. The Jews stayed at Gleiwtiz for three days. Their stay over there wasn't good at all, because they didn't get any food or drink.
  15. 15.What happened during the separation of Elie and his father? Elie tried to run after his father, but was soon shouted to get back to where he was from an SS officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment