Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Long Way Gone Ch. 15 Vocabulary Words

Chapter 15 Vocabulary Words
  • Captured- v. to take by force or stratagem; take prisoner; seize
  • Sentence- Half of the Hmong people in Laos were captured.
  • Outskirts- n. the outlying district or region, as of a city, metropolitan area, or the like
  • Sentence- I live on the outskirts of town.
  • Commander- n. a person who commands
  • Sentence- My commander would often yell at me.
  • Mingle- v. to become mixed, blended, or united.
  • Sentence- I went to Hmong New Year in which all of them united together.
  • Jovial- adj. endowed with or characterized by a hearty, joyous humor or a spirit of good-fellowship
  • Sentence- My friend was always so jovial.
  • Accustomed- adj. customary; usual; habitual
  • Sentence- I had to learn how to get a baby accustomed to drinking from a bottle.
  • Snatch- v. to make a sudden effort to seize something, as with the hand; grab
  • Sentence- Jasmine snatched my cellphone from my bag.
  • Gathered- v. to bring together into one group, collection, or place
  • Sentence- During Thanksgiving, my family all gathered together at my grandma's house.
  • Impatiently- adj. not patient; not accepting delay, opposition, pain, etc., with calm or patience
  • Sentence- The man sat impatiently in the waiting room.

1 comment:

  1. i like this it helps me with my English homework

    ReplyDelete